Are people who own small businesses and have1-25 employees called workers? supposedly not. they are considered middle class. Are people who own income properties and who profit from tenants’ rents workers? apparently not. They belong to the middle class. Although professionals and white collar administrators earning $50k-200k consider themselves middle class they are in fact ‘working class’ unless they own property income or have employees from which they derive income. This is the sociological definition of middle class.
Individuals who generate their income, over $150k annually, after taxes, from rents, investments or property sales are considered upper class.
Workers work, middle class ‘work out’. Upper class ‘travel’. lol
Workers who earn under $75k or create no revenues from property income or other employees are working class.
Go figure that politicians don’t pander to the workers but to those who either profit from other workers, tenants, or by flipping real estate or playing the stock markets. They are the real middle class.
Is this who you aspire to be as a worker? To become middle class you have to exploit someone.
IS this who you want to become? You have to profit from someone else’s lack of capital to either own their own home or to start their own business.
you have to rent them a home or give them a job. So the workers are indebted to you as are your tenants? Wrong.
Workers give their employers part of their profits called surplus social labour in exchange for the ‘right’ to have a job.
Tenants give part of their income as ‘rent’ beyond the value of the property which the owner pays the bank as interest.
This is property income.
Capitalism justifies itself by risk-taking. Property-owners risking the bank’s capital and their other property collateral to borrow more money to make more rent income. Property owners minimize risk by delaying repairs to rental properties.
The Small Business owner risks their personal home, often times, to employ workers to produce widgets or services which they hope to sell. The small business owner skimps on health and safety to maximize profit. Government is there to protect workers yet often don’t but favour the small business owner by skirting regulation and giving tax subsidies.
The one to profit all the time is the banks and individuals who lend money and make interest on the side as compensation for their taking the risk to lend. Actually the government and the public carry the risk of social lending, by ensuring 10% reserves banks lend out the other 90% and shareholders profit from the paper creation of virtual money when in reality there is no social energy there to create it as labour does.
Go figure, those that have shall inherit the earth. It’s in the Bible. I wonder if the author was one of the first capitalists?
In the times of Karl Marx the dominant form of creating social surplus and exploitation was through labour, however, there are multiple ways to create surplus, one of them being rental incomes from property, and from financial lending, and speculation on the stock markets.
However, in reality, the mass of social surplus is still created from the workplace expropriation of surplus labour from workers as capital profit. Governments support this structure because politicians are ‘middle class’. Let’s not forget that. Class still exists, it’s just been masked by those who have created the illusion that this is the aspiration of all workers: to become middle class, to own property or businesses, and to travel as does the upper class, at their leisure.
If one examines the increase in global travel and global flights we have to accept that aspirations to reach the higher class are increasing even if it means that you’re flying on ‘points’ instead of real cash in economy section rather than in ‘first class’. This is the illusion of the working and middle class, that they can reach the higher rarified air of the upper class and fly ‘first class’ all the time staying in five star resorts all the time.
The plight of the working class is to book their one-week all-inclusive resort in the Caribbean during the harshest part of our northern winters to assuage their minds and souls that they are not just working slaves to a system which offers a carrot yet keeps them where they are: as working class.
So vote, by all means, go exercise your right to vote: for one of the four parties which guarantees more of the same? Social democracy in Canada means accepting capitalism along with citizenship. All the rest is illusion. The American dream, aka, Canadian dream, is just that, a dream, an illusion, conjured by politicians, glorified by the media, implanted by marketing gurus as promises and eternal hope of the middle class dream being manifested. Those who breathe the rarified air of the upper class don’t have any illusions about where they are in the social hierarchy: they own the resorts, airlines, banks, and workers. What more is there?